24 Hour Fitness, INC. Director, Data Architecture & Governance in San Ramon, California
LOCATION 12647 Alcosta Blvd San Ramon CA 94583
The Director of Data Architecture and Governance is a leadership role within the Data and Analytics group that leads the design of data architecture and data governance processes that allow our organization to focus on more effective behaviors and better decisions. This role is critical for our company to establish a robust 360 view of our customers and clubs in addition to support all critical company wide data requirements.
This role oversees the strategy, planning, governance, change initiatives and controls to ensure exceptional data management of our business processes changes. This role must ensure that data management processes are implemented across the organization. Also, this role works very closely with Data Development team to certify the processes in which data is connected, collected, cleaned, processed, shared, protected, utilized and stored are efficient and generating data that is trusted and easy to use.
(1) Data governance procedures (data collection, connection, cleansing, processing, sharing, protection, utilization and storage), (2) Analytics governance and reporting (enterprise reporting, visualization and analytics tools, data marts, BI self-service support) and (3) Data architecture (data lake, data integration hub, enterprise data warehouse).
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES Estimated % of Time Spent
● Ensure data management processes are implemented across the organization by focusing on the following activities: identification of source of records, MDM, definition of data principles, data interchange architecture, data management software (ETL Tools, Data Profiling Tools and Data Quality Tools) and data security.
● Lead and develop the enterprise information governance and master data management procedures to support the company key business areas by creating a strong relationship with other business and technical departments that are responsible for company and customer applications. These governance operating procedures should enable team members from multiple departments to use our data fluently
● Support and maintain a business glossary of all terms, metrics and attributes. Enforce the governance stages, tasks and communication through multiple data roles (Owner, Steward, subject matter expert, data quality and sourcing).
● Create and develop a team of data governance and data quality team members that operates as independent consultants to our internal business teams to provide guidance on how to clearly define, organize, validate and use data.
● Lead the Reporting team to maximize adoption of self-service reporting and analytics capabilities with proper data governance to ensure uniform and standard view and use of certified reports and metrics.
● Evaluate existing and new data governance and master data management tools and recommend solutions enhancing the data governance process through different tools.
● Partner with IT managers to understand new initiatives and proactively identify data impacts due to technology implementation 30%
Business process around Data
● Create and maintain data management standard operating procedures and rules partnering with other business and technical departments responsible for all company and customer applications.
● Ensure data quality is applied to all data capture process applying advanced data quality functions that are appropriate for different business cases
● Understand information management high priority projects to impact the company performance
● Enforce governance business processes with the objective to turn data into an asset
● Be in charge of organizing and streamline the data management process with which data is collected, cleaned, processed, protected, shared, utilized and stored;
● Maintain efficiency in data handling rules to minimize unusable data
● Work with internal stakeholders (IT, Marketing, Digital, Operations, Finance, etc.) and third parties to set up processes and best practices for understanding transactional data and implications of our current database and system architecture to data utilization consistency. 20%
● Perform duties of data governance such as:
o Business terms approval process following ownership structure
o Define deadlines for the approval process
o Own glossary of terms for data elements stores in the reporting data repository
o Maintain data dictionary
o Prioritization and selection of business terms
o Integrate business terms and critical data elements to relevant reports
o Enable Validation of business rules through approval process
o Help in the data quality process by pulling out data quality outputs
o Enable data issue tracking, escalation and distribution notification process
o Ensure data lineage and traceability for the data elements is included 25%
Team Management and Leadership
● Lead and maintain day to day team supervision of all data architecture, quality, governance, business and reporting definitions activities across all consumer touch points for the organization.
● Daily management of a team . Responsible for effectively delegating tasks to ensure the team members are appropriately challenged, learning, and contributing to the success of the organization. Provide guidance, review and approval for all deliverables.
● Identify strengths and growth areas for each direct report. Prepare and deliver annual reviews, frequent touch base sessions, staff meetings, and informal coaching opportunities. Contribute to the staffing process for the team. 25%
The Data Governance Manager interfaces frequently with corporate and field management as well as key functional business owners. Additionally, there is daily interaction with the Finance, Accounting, and field teams as well as 3rd party vendors. This position will directly manage a Sr. Manager and Manager and will also have other managers and analysts in downline.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
● Strong data governance skills such as: decision making authority, compliance monitoring, policies and standards, data inventories, full lifecycle management, content management, records management, data quality, data classification, data security, data access, data risk management and data valuation.
● Experience with Master Data Management procedures and tools
● Expert knowledge of sound software development lifecycle methodology.
● Demonstrated expertise at business process and data analysis.
● Knowledge of databases, included big data technologies
● Process flow development, analysis, and re-engineering skills.
● Excellent knowledge of data modeling and metadata management
● Ability to convey complex concepts to business stakeholders in terms relevant to the business
● Ability to use reporting tools to implement data quality reporting validations and to discover anomalies in the data.
● Expertise with Microsoft Office suite of products, including Visio and data governance tools
● Excellent problem solving and logical analysis skills.
● Hands on experience designing, operating or contributing to a highly functional analytics team with strong analytics governance procedures
● Strong written and verbal communication required. The ability to form and communicate a strong point of view on a data approach based on usability and data integrity. Strong leadership capabilities and strong communication skills to be able to articulate both strategic direction and tactical action steps for subordinates.
● Ability to prioritize work and resources, keeping business objectives at the forefront of the decision making process.
● Track record of building consensus between different stakeholders.
● Critical strategic thinking and problem-solving skills.
● Experience in managing and leading teams (internal and external).
● High degree of initiative, engagement and professionalism.
● Ability to thrive in a heavy workload environment.
● Excellent time management skills and sensitivity to deadlines.
● Flexible and adaptable to a fast-paced changing environment.
Minimum Educational Level/Certifications
● Bachelor's degree (economics, engineering, computer science, statistics, data analytics, operational research, or other relevant majors).
Minimum Work Experience and Qualifications
● 10+ yrs progressive experience in data management including
o 5+ years progressive experience leading teams in business analytics, information management, business intelligence, or related area.
o 5+ advanced knowledge designing and working with multi-dimensional, relational data warehouses in data mining transactional data for insights and strategies to drive the business.
o 3+ years defining and publishing data dictionaries and documenting data lineage.
o 3+ years of reporting solution implementations. Preferably with Dimensional Data Models
o 3+ years providing analytical reporting to business users using various reporting tools.
o 2+ years working with data governance tools and processes
o 2+ year of data quality experience
● Experience working with 3rd party vendors/agencies.
FUNCTIONAL GROUP Corporate Operations